Editor’s Note and Comments

This blog is pursuing a theory to construct an alternate probabilty in the unsolved anthrax attacks of 2001.

The working theme is that the First Victim, Bob Stevens of American Media Inc., was a carefully orchestrated murder as were the four deaths that followed.  Mr. Stevens’s death was the ‘wake up’ to officials that there was a biological attack in progress. Gaps and inconsistencies in the reported stories suggest room for this as likely. The owners of AMI and their business interests are being explored. Bob Stevens’s spinal fluid was flown by corporate jet to Arizona for hasty confirmation of anthrax by a Los Alamos specialist, Paul Keim, who made an effort to determine the strain. The editor thinks it’s probable that Mr. Stevens was contaminated elsewhere (North Carolina, perhaps) and his office was planted with anthrax spores after the AMI employees were barred from re-entry. This event is key. The “anthrax strain evidence” resembled a three-ring circus and has largely been discredited.

Barbara Honegger is one of the “inside job” journalists who brought a fact to light about the prepared White House ‘memo’ recommending unwarranted wiretapping of Americans: the anthrax attack was pointed to as the primary cause for this illegal surveillance, and the memo recommendation draft was observed on October 4 –the same day Mr. Stevens infection was announced, and a day before his death. If true, the WashD.C. memo indicates that the attack was prepared, “in the chute”, and perhaps carefully timed. The strongest indicators that the Anthrax Attack was NOT what it seemed are the letters themselves.

The next two victims were Postal workers from the Brentwood Road post office in Washington D.C. Shortly after their deaths, a Postal Service forensics specialist announced that they believed only three anthrax letters were circulated in the mail, opposing the publicized theory that seven letters had been sent. A third worker who developed an inhalation-infection before the other two could have inadvertently transmitted the anthrax to his fellows from the express mail sorting center where he bagged D.C.-bound mail and carried it to Brentwood. The three men were “the closest friends” who saw each other socially. And then there was a fourth worker from Brentwood who fell ill, checking himself into the hospital on the last day of postal-worker fatalities. He is described only as “an unidentified man”, who recovered faster and was released. His identity has remained a secret though he was said to be a floor supervisor among the 2,000 postal workers who were active at the “sprawling” Brentwood mail center in 2001.

Motive against the USPS, which had the power to launch its own investigations into ‘mail (and wire)  fraud’  often leading to indictments in phony securities and drug smuggling cases, does not need proving. USPS workers also help maintain a public service ‘exposure’ website called Judicial Watch. It’s been suggested that the anthrax contamination cost “billions” to the USPS and that there are additional deaths and illnesses officials omit. Proof of additional anthrax cases is absent. New York City reported no anthrax cases among postal workers, although some deaths were thought to be stress related. On the subject of the six contaminated post offices in South Florida, the media goes silent; no names, no deaths, no illness. In the apparent route of postal processing, we’re told, the closer to end-point delivery, the more lethal the ‘letters’ became, and yet this is not what happened.  Bob Stevens’ workplace, AMI, was reputedly swarming with spores. Why wasn’t one South Florida case of anthrax reported among the postal workers there? Strangely, mail sent from Brentwood that was isolated and shrink-wrapped at a Kansas City stamp facilty that tested positive, proved to have no trace of contamination. The Kansas City ‘spores’ were limited to postal workers’ trash cans.

A disturbing anomaly about the Brentwood Rd USPS contamination is this : an inconsistency of timing in the Brentwood Rd. contamination is the claim that the postal workers who developed lethal infections were exposed from a sorter-machine cleanup that used blower equipment on the morning of October 11. Mr. Leroy Richmond’s lawsuit ‘discovery’ revealed that the Daschle letter did not pass through the facility until the 12th. By then, several lawsuits were in progress and it wasn’t in anyone’s interest to reconcile this discrepancy. While Mr. Richmond was in the hospital, and memories were fresh, his Brentwood supervisor came to his bedside to help reconstruct the exact sequence of events that led to his exposure. It was agreed that Mr. Richmond’s cleaning activity on the the 11th was the cause of his infection. (See the Washington D.C. page for more). Does it matter because (a) it was not a normal duty of Richmond’s routine as a floor supervisor and (b) he may have been at the airport facility on the 12th?

The last two victims were a ‘hospital supply room’ worker in Manhattan and a random-seeming ‘little old lady’ in Connecticut. A theory of cross-contaminated mail is supposed in the deaths of these two women. The elder woman in Oxford, CT had a distant neighbor’s mail test positive for “a spore”, said to have followed the Leahy letter in the sorting machine by 15 seconds, but the Leahy letter’s circumstance, by accounts, is highly suspect –it turned up on Nov. 16 in an undelivered mail quarantine bag “leaking like a sieve” and yet was known to have been delivered to the senator’s office over a month earlier, around the same time as the Daschle letter reached its destination. The Leahy senate office tested completely negative, while the ‘Leahy letter’ found later, “undelivered”, had a mysterious pinhole in the envelope and contained an even more deadly “super weaponized” anthrax powder when it was found.

Only four “evidence” letters existed. The first two recovered, from the New York Post (which was unopened) and NBC, both mailed Sept.18, were identical copies. The Washington D.C. anthrax trail appears unexplainable by means of cross-contaminated letters. Other anthrax-tainted mail was recorded outside the country. This “trail” must be telling a story…  The FBI conducted the largest investigation in its history, over 9000 interviews, 5000 subpoenas and could not nail a suspect. The anthrax attacks were seized upon in the media spin as a primary link to Iraqi involvement and,  failing that,  evolved as an ‘inside job’ .

The Anti-Defamation League summed up its review of prior anthrax hoaxes this way: “The period 1995-2000 resulted in America inadvertently telegraphing to the entire world, as well as to dissidents and malcontents within its own borders, how vulnerable the American psyche was to the threat of anthrax, to say nothing of the American critical infrastructure.” http://www.adl.org/learn/anthrax/hoaxes2.asp  The first anthrax hoax in this cycle to gain national attention happened at the D.C. headquarters of B’nai B’rith in April of 1997.

Webster Tarpley wrote:  “The anthrax incidents of October 2001 must be regarded as an integral part of the entire 9/11 operation. The 9/11 terror attacks were highly effective in terrorizing urban populations, since no one knew when another city might be struck, and with what means. But what of the vast suburbs, and what of rural America? Here kamikaze aircraft, poison gas and dirty bombs were hardly likely. But everyone in the country had a mailbox, and now that mailbox could become the delivery system for a deadly disease. Even the most humble and obscure person living in the most remote location could never be sure that a piece of junk mail in the letterbox had not brushed up against an envelope teeming with lethal anthrax spores. The most harmless daily routine, that of checking the mailbox, suddenly became a tense encounter with the world of biological warfare.  The anthrax attacks also provided a most welcome pretext for the Bush administration and the FBI to scale down and to slow down the ongoing probes into 9/11. The anthrax letters provided a reason to re-assign FBI agents to the new danger, before they got anywhere near unearthing the explosive secrets of 9/11. On October 10, FBI assets were shifted away from the 9/11 investigation with the explanation that they were needed for the anthrax emergency. At the same time the anthrax attacks, if properly regarded, can become the Achilles heel of the entire 9/11 operation…”http://www.american-buddha.com/911.syntheticterrormade12.htm

Isn’t it an interesting choice of words by Tarpley that the last two of five anthrax fatalities fit the description of “most humble and obscure”? Kathy Nguyen was a Vietnamese immigrant living alone in a poor section of New York dominated by Puerto Ricans. Ottilie Lundgren was a 94-year-old widow living alone by the woods in a hilly Connecticut hamlet. These women had something in common: they were both devoted church-goers with regular habits, and neither of their cases turned up a plausible route of exposure. Are Tarpley’s words, perhaps, too insightful?

2001 Anthrax Attack

“The 2001 anthrax attacks had begun occurring in the wake of the September 11, 2001 attacks, with anthrax-laced letters sent to ABC News, CBS News, NBC News and the New York Post, all in New York City, as well as the National Enquirer in Boca Raton, Florida. Two additional letters (with a higher grade of anthrax) were sent on October 9, 2001 to Senators Tom Daschle and Patrick Leahy [Leahy’s not opened until Dec.5] in Washington. Twenty-two people were infected; five died. In 2008, as the government’s investigation of these mailings focused on Bruce Ivins, Mr. Ivins committed suicide. The official view is that Mr. Ivins acted alone”…  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judith_Miller_%28journalist%29
…scientists analysing the anthrax from the attacks are comparing its DNA with a library of strains collected from all over the world. And in this collection, what’s called “Ames” has more interesting origins. It emerged in the mid-1980s from a freezer at the Centre for Applied Microbiology and Research, the British biodefence establishment at Porton Down, Wiltshire.
   “The terrorists at least had access to considerable know-how,” concludes Michael Powers of the Chemical and Biological Arms Control Institute in Washington DC. “This suggests some level of state involvement.” But [Ken] Alibek dismisses claims that milling the powder this fine is too hard for mere terrorists. “You can use readily available equipment to do this,” he says.
   “His view is supported by a secret experiment last year called Project Bacchus, in which employees of the US Department of Defense covertly produced a kilogram of bacteria similar to anthrax. It was milled to a few micrometres using machines available openly in the US.”
So why choose this strain? “Ames is certainly a challenge to any vaccine,” says Martin Hugh-Jones of Louisiana State University at Baton Rouge. When lab animals immunized with the vaccine now being given to thousands of American troops are exposed to anthrax, many are still killed by the Ames strain.
“Alternatively, the attackers may simply have wanted a strain of proven virulence that’s hard to trace, says Ken Alibek, former deputy head of the Soviet bioweapons program. ‘If I were a terrorist, I would certainly not use a strain known to be from my country,’ he told New Scientist.” http://www.worldpress.org/print_article.cfm?article_id=242&dont=yes

[Feb 9, 2002] …”But the genetic trail may now have gone cold. Investigators hoped that samples from the dozen labs holding USAMRIID’s strain would be sufficiently different to reveal where the attacker got his bacteria. They include three US military facilities: the navy’s medical research lab, the army’s Dugway Proving Ground in Utah, and Battelle, a defence contractor based in Ohio. So far, all the samples tested in [Paul] Keim’s analysis have been identical. His lab is now working with the Institute for Genomic Research in Maryland to try and find more revealing differences in non-repeat DNA. But it’s not looking good-the labs have clearly been sharing the same bacteria. Hope now rests on analysing the way the anthrax was turned into the fine, floating powder that makes it a weapon…

“…to the expert eye, the envelope opened in Senator Tom Daschle’s office on 15 October obviously contained weaponised anthrax. It even resembled the powder the US military concocted in the 1960s…The US government insists it destroyed all its old weaponised anthrax. But in December [2001], an American journalist broke the news that Dugway had been making more for nearly four years under the tutelage of Bill Patrick, who ran the anthrax programme before 1969…Dugway undoubtedly weaponised Ames…

“THE US is vastly increasing its biodefence research in the wake of the anthrax attacks. But even though biosafety standards will be tightened up,  critics  fear  this  explosion  in research may only make another bioterrorist strike more likely. This  week  President  Bush  announced  an  $11  billion  increase  in biodefence funding over the next two years… Congress is finalising a Bioweapons Protection Act  that  will  demand  increased  security  and containment, and the registration  of  labs,  scientists,  and  the genetic fingerprints of laboratory pathogens, to track any future release… That could drive the research away from smaller university  labs,  even  though  they  tend  to do the most innovative research, says Martin Hugh-Jones… Soon only the biggest labs may be able to afford  the  few  experts  in the area.”  http://www.zcommunications.org/anthrax-attacks-by-debora-mackenzie

How common are anthrax outbreaks?
http://www.anthraxinvestigation.com/misc9.html [about 3/4 down the page] Local veterinarian discusses anthrax threat during 2005 Bovine Connection

December 07, 2005, Sidney (Montana) Herald
In light of the tragic loss of 37 cattle in Roosevelt County earlier this fall, Schieber felt it was prudent to inform the large group about the potential risks of anthrax epidemics.
“Anthrax is not new, it’s been here for hundreds of years. There typically is an outbreak every five to 10 years. It is something that is here to stay,” Schieber said…“In the summertime if you suddenly notice a cow death, you have to suspect anthrax”…
Once the anthrax spores are hatched, the incubation period ranges from three to seven days. Symptoms of infected animals include fever, initial aggression, depression, muscle trimmers [sic], seizures, breathing difficulty and mild bloating. Death occurs rapidly.”

In the course of the unfolding 2001 Anthrax Attack, New York Times medical correspondent, Lawrence K. Altman MD wrote, “The normal incubation for inhalation anthrax is one to seven days” http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/16/science/the-doctor-s-world-cdc-team-tackles-anthrax.html?pagewanted=3

     day 7, cutaneous lesion


Post a Comment

Required fields are marked *


%d bloggers like this: